24/08/2017 - 31/08/2017
9:00am - 5:00pm
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
Storyology is the Walkley Foundation’s annual festival of journalism and storytelling. Each year it features the best journalists and media makers from Australia and across the globe. Be inspired by smart discussions about the media’s role and its future, brush elbows with top journalists, skill up and get creative.
In order to fit all of the following amazing speakers into the program, the Walkleys has organised a full week of events, across three cities. Here are some of the highlights of this year’s festival:
● Andrew Quilty, 2016 Gold Walkley-winning photojournalist, on life in Afghanistan.
● Tonya Mosley (US), KQED correspondent. Silicon Valley, Trump, diversity and the media.
● Craig Silverman, media editor, Buzzfeed News. Authority on fake news.
● Aaron Glantz (US), investigative reporter at Reveal. His stories have improved health care for hundreds of thousands of veterans.
● Caro Meldrum-Hanna, 2015 Gold Walkley winner at Four Corners. Greyhounds, Don Dale, Pauline Hanson.
● Kerry O’Brien, one of Australia’s most distinguished journalists, talking Queensland corruption. Has six Walkleys, including the Gold.
● Irene Jay Liu, Google News Lab’s Asia-Pacific lead, on the new reporting toolkit.
● Maria Ressa, Rappler CEO. Battling propaganda with tech in the Philippines.
● Aine Kerr, Facebook’s head of journalism partnerships. Verification whiz.
● Siddharth Varadarajan, founding editor at The Wire (India). Star reporter, economist.
In Brisbane, in addition to our industry programming, we’ve added sessions aimed at a broader public, including Storyology After Dark — amazing journalist-storytellers bring a magazine to life on stage — and talks on crime in Queensland’s history, the Trump effect, and more. Bring your friends and family. Let’s start some conversations about why great journalism is essential in all of our lives.
Special offer for MEAA members: Use the code MEAA2017 and your active MEAA membership number to get big discount on full passes for Brisbane or Sydney.
Explore the program and get tickets: http://www.walkleys.com/storyology17/